Monday, September 15, 2008

Concert Chronicles Part II



They say you should never meet your heroes, because you will be disappointed. A part of me went in with that expectation; though it was one I didn't want met. It was almost as if they could read so deeply into my mind, they not only knew how to meet the expectations I did want met, but they knew how to surpass the ones I didn't even know I had.

It started after most people's night was nearing a close. The Trews had played. The people had danced. My personal interactions with the members during the show were what I'd come to expect. So far, I was not disappointed, but then - as I said - it hadn't even started yet.

The beginning was marked by a simple yet intentional question - "can I have a light?"

I'd asked the question to one of the roadies, who was waiting (like me) for the band to come out the backstage doors. I didn't need the lighter; I had my own. But I figured that we could both stand 20 feet apart, smoking our cigarettes alone or I could strike up a conversation with a complete stranger just to see what happened. The latter seemed so much more interesting.

I quickly learned his name was Rob. He was the sound guy; he had been for years, which meant he was the most senior roadie and therefore could delegate as much of his work to the others as he cared to, which meant for the next hour - instead of doing his job - we sat on the lawn, smoking a joint and talking so effortlessly that I felt I'd known him for years.

(See, smoking a cigarette alone would have lasted approximately 7-8 minutes. at which point I would have gotten tired of waiting (ha!) and probably left shortly thereafter. Instead, the conversation with Rob the Roadie lasted right up until the band made their delayed exit. What's more, by the time the boys came out, I already had arranged backstage access for the following night's show, courtesy of my new friend. Treat others kindly and you will be treated kindly in return. I don't know why it's such a difficult principle for some people. But I digress...)

The boys made their way to the van and JA did a triple take to see who Rob was sitting with, then peered through the tinted windows (sorry honey, they're not that tinted) to make sure it was me before he beckoned Rob over. "I guess I have to go do some work now," he said as he stood and walked toward the van. A minute later, he came back over. "Uh... the boys want to say hi to you."

I walked over and first saw Jack, who was standing in front of the van. I congratulated him on his wedding (Rob told me) and he gave me his big awkward Jackie smile that I love. Colin came over and introduced himself. It was the first time Colin had ever spoken to me, much less instigated conversation, so I didn't have much to say to him apart from what I'd say when meeting any rockstar.

"Great show tonight, man."
"Thanks. Yeah, I saw you rockin' out in the front row. Glad you liked it."

Our conversation didn't progress any further because from inside the van, JA craned his neck into my eyeline and said, "hellOoo" as if I were ignoring him and he'd had enough. I walked to the van door.

"Hi J'nangus," I said with an uncontrollable smile that he returned. I realized after a few moments of staring into his eyes that I was being rude. "Hi Sean. Hi everybody," I said to the other four in the van.

"What are you up to tonight?"
"That's yet to be determined."
"I think we're heading down to a bar called... Nick's?"
"Nikki Zee's?" I ask, pulling a face as a gut reaction.
"Yeah. That's the one. Is it any good?"
"Well, it's a dance bar. So if you want to get your Akon on with hoes (here, I did my best Usher dance move), then knock yourselves out."
"Where would you usually go?" Sean asked.
"Dolan's or the Capital. They're both pretty chill."
I explain what both are about and Sean seems intrigued. I think I may have them convinced NOT to go to Zee's until...
"Maybe we'll see you at Nikki Zee's then?" JA asks.
"Maybe..." I say in what must have sounded doubtful.
"Or Dolan's or the Capital... Whatever. We'll go wherever."
"Okay. Yeah. Definitely. I'll be around."
"Good. I'll see you down there."

Still smiling uncontrollably, I nodded and turned to walk away. At that point (allegedly) Rob had offered a ride in the van, but I was too hypnotized by the hopeful look on JA's face to hear him, so instead of hopping in, I disappeared over a hill, wondering what the fastest way to get a taxi would be and hoping that this wouldn't turn out to be another Grannan's disastor (if you recall).

In fact, I was convinced it would turn out that way up until the moment I stepped into Zee's and saw Jack, JA and Rob near the bar.

"You made it!" JA said, pulling me into a hug. "Want a drink?"

The uncontrollable smile had returned. However, soon after Rob and I went to the patio for a smoke and when we returned, JA was quite involved in conversation with two typical "Zees" girls. I stayed at the other end of the bar with Rob, Jack, Sean and a couple other roadies I'd yet to be introduced to, thinking the key was for him to come to me.

Ten minutes later we made eye contact for the first time from across the room and he excused himself from the girls before he - did what? - came to me. Probably the most glorious victory of my life.

"So I'm about ready to check out this Capital place. Want to show me?"
"I have to finish my drink first."
"I can wait."

Soon after, the group of us that had become significantly smaller with the departure of everyone but bassist, guitarist, Rob and two roadies who doubled as Jack's babysitter.

JA and I ended up roaming the bars of the Tannery, having wonderfully interesting conversations, paying for nothing and constantly losing and finding and losing the other members of our party. Guys would gape and say vague exclamations of, "... isn't that the guy from the trews..." as we passed; Girls would swoon and whisper frantically to each other or whip out their phones and start texting (maybe each other?). But JA didn't seem to notice any of it. He would just turn to make sure he hadn't lost me in the shuffle and say, "where should we go next, Erin?" and we'd continue on our way.

By 2 a.m., though alcohol had stopped being served, it wasn't really a problem. "There's still alcohol and music at the hotel..." JA said. "Let's move this party."

So that's what we did... minus Jack. The babysitters had failed their job that night; Jack had wandered into a back alley with some fans who begged him to smoke a joint with them and he refused to leave with the rest of us because Rob yelled at him and hurt his feelings.

Back at the hotel, we drank a bit more, listened to a bit more good music, had a bit more wonderfully interesting conversation and a few singalongs (most noteably to Janis Joplin's "Piece of my Heart").

It was a wonderful time, and not so much because of who the company was, but because I was with company who I meshed with naturally while completely being myself.

JA had repeatedly told Rob that evening to make sure I was on the guest list for the next evening. Rob repeatedly assured him I was (I wasn't; but that's another chronicle) and, to really hammer the point, JA's last words, before retiring to bed were, "You're coming tomorrow, right? You're definitely coming?"
"I am definitely coming."
"Okay." That damn smile returned. "Good. Until then..."

I left shortly thereafter. The sun was coming up and now that I was satisfied that I'd made a good decision in pretending I didn't have a lighter some 7 hours before, the only other thing I needed was a big piece of bread to fill my empty stomache and a good long sleep in preparation for the next chapter.

Oh, and to prove this story has a happy ending, as I was leaving the hotel, when the elevator doors opened to the lobby, who should be waiting to go up to the safety of his room but little lost Jackie.
"Hey! You made it back in one piece!" I said.
"Oh," he chuckled in his awkward way. "Yeah."
"Did you have a good night?"
"Oh," he chuckled in his awkward way. "Yeah."
"Good. Well, I'll see you tomorrow night, Jackie."
"Oh," he chuckled in his awkward way. "Yeah."
I took a few steps toward the door, and Jack stepped into the elevator. "Hey, wait a second..."
I turned back. "Do you know what floor I'm on?"
I smiled. "Fifth."
"Oh," he chuckled in his awkward way. "Yeah. Thanks. Good night."

He called it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ever told you you are my hero, mostly for the fact that you make all of your dreams happen.
ksand

Anonymous said...

yes.

NANCY DESROSIERS said...

Did you finally go the next night?

Erin Frances said...

oh yes, nancy. that is a tale that merits its own part in the chronicle. coming soon...!

NANCY DESROSIERS said...

cant wait to hear about it :)
Im going to see them tomorrow night.. YAYY!!