Thursday, February 14, 2008

Love Poems

In honour of St. Valentine and his day, I thought I would post a little poem I wrote recently about my potential love. That's not to say the love I might have; I mean that I am in love with potential.

For me, optimism and romanticism about the future is the best way to cope with some unfortunate realities of the present. So with that in mind, here is what I would love. I don't think it's too much to ask...

I will live a year in Montreal

When the trees are the colours of fall.


I may take up smoking for the occasion

But more likely take up French instead,

I will paint pottery and pen poetry

That will largely remain unread.

A taste for red wine and a passion for jazz

Will unravel itself from within,

And I’ll do my best

To not get depressed

When I have to leave again.


I will live a year in New York City

When the streets are hectic and gritty.


With a tiny room at the Chelsea Hotel

A punk poet will live ‘cross the hall,

He’ll be dark but light-hearted, and eloquent

Still I’ll feel I don’t know him at all.

A few doors down a beat novelist

Who’ll always have stories and wine,

He’ll be old and a prick

But agoraphobic,

So he will not mind sharing his time.


I will live a year in London

Where the Queen is seen more than the sun.


In a crummy flat near a café/bistro

Where I’ll waitress to pay the rent,

My nights will go by in the pub with a boy

Whose accent hails from Kent.

His rowdy friends will never be far

All footballers who’ll drink thick beer,

They’ll say they preferred

If that cheeky young bird

Had stayed for more than a year.



Happy Valentine's, everyone.
If you're with someone, love them today. And everyday.
If you're not with someone, love yourself today. And every day.
Because I said so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this, and it's cute. I would maybe play with the syntax a bit to smooth out the meter, but that's the English major in me.
:)
This from Nicole, because your blog has better security than Britney Spears.